About the job
SPP Survey Assistant (Technical) (Rwanda)
ARC Power is a leading UK-based organisation, with a growing presence in various countries across East and Southern Africa. Our core business is building and operating distributed renewable energy assets to provide first-time access to electricity at scale. As we launch our new project working alongside REG and the Government of Rwanda, we require new members for our Survey Team.
The Survey Assistant (Technical) is a part of the Rwandan Survey Team, composed of a single Lead and a number of Technical and Non-Technical Assistants. The Assistants usually work in pairs conducting surveys to assist in the planning of grid implementation and solar installations by ARC Power. The Technical Assistant is primarily responsible for tasks related to surveying and planning the implementation of MV and LV grid extension. From time to time they may be required to conduct other survey work not directly related to ARC Power’s grid extension work.
The role is based in the field. Prospective candidates should expect to spend most days travelling to and working from rural areas nationwide with occasional days spent at ARC Power’s offices in Kigali.
Prospective candidates should understand that due to the nature and location of the work, driving vehicles to, from and in the field will be an expected part of the role.
The successful candidate will be someone with a good knowledge of working in the electricity industry, in particular the design and construction of MV and LV grids. They should also have an understanding of the geography of rural areas, be highly organised, possess strong communication and interpersonal skills and be comfortable working with technology and data.
The Survey Assistant will play a crucial role in supporting ARC Power’s survey projects through gathering extensive amounts of field data and in on the ground grid planning. Having a good technical background in electricity grid implementation and operation is crucial, especially regarding grid survey and design. They should be able to demonstrate some experience in leadership positions in the field, especially with regard to decision making related to implementation of electricity grids.
The candidate needs to also have excellent interpersonal skills. They will have to present themselves and ARC Power to the people where needed, as well as spend a lot of time on the road with a small number of colleagues. Therefore we are seeking someone with the above skills who can spend time in the field, is comfortable living away from home, and working without direct supervision.
ARC Power Limited Job Advertisement: SPP Survey Assistant (Technical)
- Assist the activities of ARC Power’s Survey Team:
- Complete the daily work of the Survey Team, as instructed by the Survey Lead;
- Ensure that survey processes in the field are being completed to the standards required by ARC Power.
- Participate in the implementation of surveys, both online (desk designs) and in-person (field work), by ensuring the accuracy and completeness of data collected in the field.
- Assist in MV and LV grid transmission survey and design:
- Analysing optimal pathways for routing MV lines to ensure minimal interference with other operations;
- Be able to take into consideration stakeholder requirements when surveying for the grid designs;
- Provide expert advice on strategic transformer placement to ensure safety and prevent potential accidents;
- Participate in designing MV and LV grid layouts;
- Provide information and advice on required materials necessary to implement grid designs;
- Conduct comprehensive analysis of the on-site work to derive informed interpretations.
- Assist other members of the Survey Team in completing their tasking:
- Work closely with a Non-Technical Survey Assistant;
- Help ensure that both the work of the Technical Survey Assistant and the Non-Technical Assistant is completed as per Company requirements;
- Assist with any other required work of the Survey Team.
● Minimum 3 years hands-on experience in Medium and Low Voltage line implementation.
● Extensive knowledge of the design considerations of the electricity grid network.
● A demonstrable knowledge of the local Grid Code and Reticulation Standards.
● To have obtained a formal qualification in electricity grid construction.
● Strong organisational skills with the ability to manage multiple tasks and meet deadlines effectively.
● Excellent attention to detail.
● High level of competency in reading and interpretation of maps.
● Proficiency in using computer softwares, including Microsoft Office, and G Suite.
● Comfortable with technology and quick to learn new software tools and platforms.
● A positive and collaborative attitude, with a willingness to learn and adapt in a dynamic work environment.
● Good English language proficiency.
● Full vehicle (car) driving licence.
● Experience with GIS software.
● Knowledge of IFC Performance Standards.
● Fluent English language proficiency.
We strongly encourage female applicants to apply.
ARC Power is an equal-opportunity employee that strongly supports women in leadership roles.
Likely start date: As soon as possible – ideally before end September 2023.
Interested candidates should send a CV and cover letter to email@example.com