Based in beautiful Cape Town, TFE supports the development of distributed renewable energy (DRE) (e.g. mini-grids, off-grid solar, captive power) markets in sub-Saharan Africa. Through our two business lines of consulting and fund management, we seek to facilitate investment into DRE in sub-Saharan Africa and accelerate progress towards universal energy access and a clean energy future. We are tech savvy and have a strong focus on the opportunities provided by the emergence of digital technologies in the DRE sector and in Africa at large.
In our consulting business line, we work with energy companies, investors and development finance institutions to navigate the energy transition, including identifying investment opportunities, assessing country markets, designing business models and disseminating market intelligence. Our past and current projects are focused on a variety of countries in the region, such as Nigeria, Uganda, Rwanda, Kenya, Zambia and Zimbabwe.
In our fund management business we are currently in the pilot stage of structuring a fund that will invest in the DRE sector by financing the future receivables of DRE companies.
This role falls under our consulting business line. We are looking for an assertive and committed young professional with excellent analytical skills, technical writing capabilities and a keen eye for detail. The candidate will work on the company’s consulting projects and report to the director of consulting. You will be expected to execute the following tasks:
· Research and analysis (reading reports and extracting meaningful insights, database compilation);
· Techno-economic and financial modelling;
· Structuring and writing project proposals;
· Writing articles and opinion pieces on DRE in sub-Saharan Africa;
· Project planning and time management;
· Preparing for and contributing to regular internal meetings;
· Taking part in brainstorming and idea development.
What we offer
· An excellent opportunity to become familiar with the DRE sector and the landscape of disruptive technologies that support DRE operations in Africa;
· The opportunity to develop and sharpen a broad range of skills, from analytical and technical writing, to stakeholder engagement and project management;
· A small yet focused team with a comfortable team dynamic providing a great space to test ideas and continuously develop new skills;
· The opportunity to grow within and alongside the organisation;
· Exposure to a range of stakeholders, industries and geographies;
· The chance to travel for work (mainly outside of South Africa);
· A fantastic office overlooking the surf break in Muizenberg and an exceptional team dynamic, working hard and supporting each other, but always leaving enough time to catch a good wave.
The successful candidate will possess the following knowledge and skills:
· 2–3 years’ work experience and legally authorised to work in South Africa;
· At the minimum a bachelors degree. Postgraduate degree a bonus;
· Excellent spoken and written English. Other languages are a bonus;
· We insist on the highest levels of quality, and over deliver on everything we do, therefore attention to detail is the highest priority;
· Strong quantitative and analytical skills with proficiency in Excel-based modelling and visualisation of charts, graphs and diagrams;
· Eager to learn, industrious and willing to proactively apply yourself to critical reasoning and creative problem solving;
· Ability to weave technical information into a cohesive and engaging narrative, verbally and in writing;
· Motivated and organised, with the ability to work systematically through complex and imperfect information;
· The ability to communicate effectively both internally and externally with partners and clients, including presenting complex ideas and concepts, coordinating across a range of international stakeholders, and collaborating constructively;
· An interest in and awareness of emerging trends in technology, science and culture to inspire ground-breaking, innovative, and culturally relevant creative ideas;
· Strong ability to work both independently and in an international team;
· Experience in the renewable energy sector and/or developing contexts a bonus;
· The ability to cook an exceptional risotto is also a plus, as we need someone to challenge the incumbent champion.
· Location: Three days per week from our office in Muizenberg, Cape Town (ocean views) and two days per week from home
· Compensation: A very competitive salary commensurate with qualifications & experience
Please send your CV and a 1-page cover letter to André Troost (email@example.com). Bonus points for brevity.