AFSIA, the Africa Solar Industry Association is delighted to announce the nominees for the Africa Solar Industry Awards 2021, a special honor this year to recognize individuals and companies whose efforts have resulted in big achievements and promotion of the industry. There are 48 Nominees across 15 categories and spanning a record number of more than 20 countries.
“If there was ever an ounce of a doubt that Solar is on the move in Africa, it would have certainly disappeared after my experience as a jury for the awards. The full display of talent, innovation, and dedication I noticed in the various applications in each category left me speechless. More than ever I’m confident for the future and Big congratulations to all the candidates” said Tony Tiyou, CEO of Renewables in Africa and a member of the Awards jury.
Discover the nominees:
The following are individuals/companies who have made extraordinary contributions to the African Solar Industry, programs that exemplify the highest standards and organizations that have conducted activities to promote and expand the industry across the continent. All the Awards nominees serve as inspirational leaders to the industry: they embody the core values of serving those in need. The nominees will progress as finalists in their respective categories and will be recognized during the Africa Energy Forum.
- Utility Scale Solar Project of the Year:
- The 50MWp Sheikh Mohamed Bin Zayed Solar Project by AMEA Power in Togo
- The 60MWac Salima Solar project in Malawi by InfraCo Africa
- The 50MWp power station by Meinergy Technology at the Bui dam in Ghana
- C&I Solar Project of the Year:
- The 338kWp with 715kWh of storage by OFGEN
- The 8.4MWp rooftop distribution system by ENARA
- 28 hospitals solar water desalination systems by Boreal Light GmbH
- The 1.52MWp solar with a 2.28MWh storage microgrid system by EM-ONE Energy Solutions
- Mini-grid Solar Project of the Year:
- The 1.3MW solar-hybrid metro-grid in Goma by Nuru
- The 600kWp Lolwe Island MG project by Engie Equatorial
- The $12M funding for a portfolio of solar MG projects in 49 villages by Winch Energy
- SHS Solar Project of the Year:
- Connecting households in Rwanda for under $1 a month by Ignite Power
- Raising of a €3M Serie A round for MyJouleBox by Finergreen
- 40,000 systems installed and impacting 5000 businesses by ARESS
- Residential Solar Project of the Year:
- the Solar Pond Sand and filter system for water purification by Global Welfare Foundation
- the Reflex’s residential project saving 50%-60% by Huawei
- the 20kW/60kWh solar PV plus storage facility installation by Jubaili Bros
- African Solar Company of the Year:
- CrossBoundary Energy owning/operating the largest portfolio of RE PPAs in Africa including 67MW of solar and 40MWh of storage capacity
- SolarAfrica renowned being the first to successfully market solar PPAs to residential and commercial power users in South Africa
- Munyax Eco mainly doing Solar Water Heaters but diversifying its activities with new solar activities.
- African solar entrepreneur/SME of the year:
- Kudirat Saliu from the Solar Sister Entrepreneurs Program
- Ruben Morgado for the Solar Giraffe
- Financial Advisor / Consultant of the Year:
- Finergreen for the $6M loan to finance 3 PV hybridization of HFO plants projects in Madagascar
- Synergy Consulting Infrastructure and Financial Advisory Services Inc. for several projects including the Dondo pv project, the RMIPPPP and many more
- Finergreen for closing 22 mandates in Africa
- Legal Advisor / Consultant of the Year:
- Wairimu & Co. for the investment of $4M in a MG project,
- Taciana Peão Lopes & Associados (TPLA) for the Solar Giraffe project.
- Mr Stephen Gatama from OFGEN for a 350kWp + 1MWh solar project at UAP Equatorial Tower in Juba
- DFI/Alternative financing of the Year:
- EEP Africa for the €8.3M in grant financing contract
- African Development Bank for the $50M for the COVID-19 Off-grid recovery platform
- Sunfunder for the $70M Solar Energy Transformation (SET) Fund
- SIMA Funds as the sole Fund Manager for Energy Access Relief Fund
- Woman in solar of the Year:
- Jenny Fletcher from Ariya Finergy
- Francine Munyaneza from Munyax Eco
- Sylvie Kanimba from ENGIE Energy Access Rwanda
- Solar Innovation/Technology of the Year:
- Solar Giraffe project
- Genius Watter for the Genius RO – solar-powered reverse osmosis desalination technology
- Tespack for the solution combining solar, IoT and hardware.
- East African Power for the EMPWR Pod – a modular agricultural processing technology powered by solar
- Solar Picture of the Year:
- AB Solar Africa
- Elaine Solar Africa
- Solar Video of the Year:
- Solar Giraffe
- Life-time achievement award:
- Dr Segun Adaju from Consistent Energy ltd
- Sherif Magdy El Gabaly from Enara.
- Franco Traverso from Genius Watter
Mark your calendar
Organized in partnership the Africa Energy Forum, winners will be announced at a hybrid event ceremony in London, on Tuesday, November 16th, 2021, at the London Marriott Hotel Grosvenor Square.
If you are unable to attend AEF this year, you may still follow the ceremony live on Zoom by registering here.