SENIOR PROGRAMME MANAGER/ADVISOR
Role: Senior Programme Manager/Advisor
Location: Nairobi, Kenya
Reports to: Regional Head of Programmes
Salary: Negotiable, dependent on experience
Start date: ASAP
About Energy 4 Impact
Energy 4 Impact is a non-profit company which seeks to alleviate poverty in Sub Saharan Africa through accelerated access to renewable energy, particularly in off-grid areas. Supported by a small head office in the UK, most of our staff of 70 are based in Kenya (our regional HQ), Rwanda, Tanzania, Senegal and Benin. We support the development and growth of privately owned small and medium-sized enterprises, and micro-businesses, which deliver renewable energy products and services to the poor, mainly in rural and peri-urban areas. We advise off-grid SMEs on commercial, financial, and engineering matters and help them secure the resources they need to grow. We run pilots to test new products, business models, and expansion into new markets. We are particularly well known for our innovative approaches to the productive use of electricity, mini-grids, renewable energy for refugee camps, and crowd funding for energy access.
Since we were created in 2006, we have supported over 5500 businesses and those businesses have created 12,000 jobs, raised $154 million, and enabled 18 million people to get access to energy. Most of our income comes from major development agencies, development financing institutions and trusts and foundations. Our funders include DFID, SIDA, KFW, Norad, EU, USAid, World Bank, African Development Bank, IFC, OFID, Energia, and various foundations such as Ovo Energy and Vitol. For more information, please see our website https://www.energy4impact.org/.
About the role
You will be a senior member of our African Programmes and Advisory team, which includes professionals from a range of private-sector backgrounds, including entrepreneurship, engineering, project development, banking, and investment, micro-finance, management consulting, and law. You will manage and lead the implementation of SME advisory programmes and be expected to mentor junior members of the Energy 4 Impact team. You will provide business, financial and other advice to SMEs, including solar home system companies, mini-grid developers, and productive use businesses. You will manage relationships with donors and ensure that programmes are delivered on time and in a quality manner. You will represent Energy 4 Impact at industry events and, for up to 20% of your time, support business development and fundraising. You will have a strong private sector and transactional background, ideally in energy, financing, engineering, or a related business. We particularly welcome candidates with a background in capital raising with SMEs.
Programme Management and Advisory Responsibilities
● Manage and implement donor-funded SME advisory programmes, including budgeting and reporting, both internally and externally.
● Provide business and financial advice to early and later stage SME companies, including mini-grid developers, solar home system distributors, stand-alone solar appliance suppliers and other service providers.
● Provide support to SME clients on their business models, partnership facilitation, project development, investment readiness, financial modeling, and capital raising.
● Develop relationships with local investors, financial institutions and donors active in the energy
● Manage and mentor junior advisory team members to help them deliver on programme objectives and grow their skills and experience.
● Work closely with the Business Development team, leading and supporting proposals.
● Work closely with the Monitoring and Evaluation team to ensure expected results for advisory activities are measured and evaluated.
● Help Energy 4 Impact to develop its internal processes and institutional knowledge of energy access financing, business models, regulatory issues etc.
● Represent Energy 4 Impact and make presentations at conferences and networking events.
Provide thought-leadership around the gaps in the market and how Energy 4 Impact can help fill
those gaps. Stay up-to-date on market news, regulations, and trends in the field of energy
access and productive use of electricity in Africa, particularly in relation to private companies,
suppliers, funders, donors, and other NGOs
Business Development (<20% time)
● Support organizational efforts to identify and secure new funding from potential donors in East
Africa and other parts of Africa.
● Working together with the Business Development team, prepare bids, concept notes and proposals for donors consistent with the objectives and requirements of the potential donor.
● Build and develop relationships with potential donors focused on East Africa, including development agencies, development financing institutions, trusts and foundations, and other potential targets.
● Build and develop relationships with potential bidding and implementing partners and lead
development of strategic partnerships as required.
● 7-12 years’ experience in at least one and preferably several of the following areas:
○ Energy project development, operations, financing or appliances
○ Financial advisory, the management, or strategic consulting
○ Early-stage business building as an entrepreneur, investor (PE/VC/impact investing) or incubator
○ Management of donor programs, preferably in an African energy access context
○ Business development and fundraising for NGOs, preferably in an African context
● Experience working with rural and off-grid business models and financing and an understanding
of the unique challenges faced by businesses operating in Africa.
Academic and Professional Qualifications
● Graduate Degree in Business Management, Economics, Finance, International Development,
Energy, Environment, Climate Change or other relevant subjects
Skills and Knowledge
● Excellent organization and project management skills. Ability to manage multiple programmes and client engagements, meet deadlines, and allocate resources and budgets effectively.
● Excellent team management, building, and motivational skills. Track record managing a diverse mix of professionals and different cultures.
● Ability to mentor clients and help them develop commercial or technical solutions.
● Ability to critique and develop financial models.
● Strong understanding of the off-grid market, and the entrepreneurial and impact investing sector,
preferably in an African context. A good understanding of the productive uses of electricity such as solar irrigation, solar cooling, and Agri processing would be an advantage.
● Strong network in energy access space, including SMEs, investors, donors, and other stakeholders.
Ability to develop partnerships and strong and effective relationships with key industry
● Very strong written and oral communication skills with ability to write high quality reports and
● Ability to work with a diverse mix of professionals and different cultures.
● Effective public speaker or workshop facilitator.
● Fluent English a must.
● Fluent French an advantage.
● Attention to detail and a focus on results.
● Ability to think outside the box.
● Ability to see the big picture and connect the dots.
● Ability to work calmly under pressure.
● A can-do and collaborative mindset – comfortable with the ambiguities and demands of a rapidly
evolving and entrepreneurial environment with a team from diverse backgrounds.
● Willingness to travel in-country, regionally, and internationally sometimes on short notice.
● Passion for working in the impact space.
● Close alignment with Energy 4 Impact’s mission and values
Energy 4 Impact Values
Energy 4 Impact exists because of our concerns for global inequality and climate change – this is the core of what drives us. We aim to be a caring, compassionate organization respectful of difference, and to treat our staff fairly, and to help them develop as professionals and as people.
● Client-focused – We serve the needs of our clients in a professional and client-focused way.
● Caring – We care about people and contribute to their wellbeing, and minimize the effects of
inequality, poverty, and climate change.
● Learning – We continuously learn from our own experiences and those of others in order to
improve our practices.
● Ethical – We are ethical and transparent in all our dealings, always maintaining a high level of
● Appropriate – We promote the use of appropriate solutions consistent with the circumstances of
our clients and their markets.
● Respectful – We respect and value our stakeholders and act with fairness to all.
The successful candidate will be expected to demonstrate commitment and loyalty and perform all duties in accordance with the organization’s office routines and procedures, keeping in mind the overall business objectives.
Please contact us at email@example.com with your CV and a cover letter outlining the position(s) you are interested in.