TTA is seeking a Project Coordinator and Consultant (PCC) to join TTA’s Africa Regional Unit. Under the supervision of the Africa Team Leader, the Project Coordinator and Consultant will champion project coordination and be a key resource within TTA’s Africa Region Unit. The PCC issomeone who enjoys coordinating a team and can thrive in a complex HR environment, with internal and external human resources dedicated to one or several projects. The PCC will also be a key interface between TTA’s clients and TTA’s Africa team. The PCC is the responsible of the way the work is effectively and sustainably done by the team, and of the outputs of the work to reach the objective of the projects within the budget and time. The selected candidate will be coordinating and managing TTA’s full-time project analysts, consultants, and engineers as well as external consultants or partners working on different
projects and different themes. He will take care of the good capacity, understanding of the team members and will be able to adapt the tasks distribution according to the context. He will also be in charge of quality control ensuring final product and deliverables to the highest standard before the final approval of TTA’s Africa Regional Unit Team Leader. Supervision and review of documents, reports, simulations, Excel sheets and others will be a “common routine” on weekly basis for this role. For some of the projects this position also requires “to be a consultant”: i.e. produce project outputs such as technical reports, periodic reports, simulations, analytics, and others. The nature of projects will be related to sustainable energy and rural electrification, including renewable energy, energy efficiency, mini-grids, and energy access.
The PCC will work in the following areas and will have the following responsibilities (A to E):
A. Project Coordination and Project Management Skills
1. Effective, efficient, and timely coordination regional projects in East Africa, Horn of Africa and Southern Africa as required, the project portfolio will range from 3-6 projects depending on duration, complexity, HR involved and budget
2. Project management: control project timelines and budget, lead project teams and follow-up with them, and lead the client communication as the main interface for some projects. Responsible for scheduling internal and external meetings, follow-ups with teams and any other required task.
3. Team management: manage and control the time spent by each Human Resource, to ensure projects are delivered within budgets and financial targets. Additionally, the project coordinator is expected to decide, along with the Africa Unit Team Leader, the HR allocation to each task/deliverable as per their capabilities and suitability and task load. Develop methods and procedures for the team to work effectively and sustainably.
4. Prepare project deliverables: prepare technical reports and other deliverables required by the project in a timely manner with the highest standards.
5. Field missions. Travel to project sites when required.
6. Objective: increase the margin of the project, satisfaction of the client, and coordinate and follow-up invoices and payments to allow a comfortable cashflow to the company.
7. Continuous improvement: Give the best feedbacks of experience to improve the procedures of the company and suggest to the Africa Regional Unit Team Leader how to implement improvements.
8. Feasibility Studies: conduct Project identification, Project Development, Prefeasibility Study, Feasibility Study, Demand Study/Load Profile, Need assessment and data gathering, Techno-economic analysis, Social, Environmental, PPA, Net Metering, etc.
9. Financial and business models and delivery schemes: Carry out or review institutional framework analysis as well as financial and economic models, Business Model, Tariff Setting, Revenue stream definition Client Policy, Funds mobilization, Costing.
10. Institutional, Policy and Regulatory Support: develop strategic and planning documents in the field of sustainable energy, policy and regulatory frameworks, tariff setting among others.
11. Capacity building: prepare and deliver trainings for public and private stakeholders.
C. Business Development
12. Support business development. Develop opportunities and good relationship with clients within the current projects to get extension or new contracts. Support the Africa Unit Team Leader and the Business Development department in identifying and preparing proposals as needed (up to 25% of total time).
13. Support the Africa Unit Team Leader in strategic decisions for the Africa Unit, in particular;
• Attendance in important, strategic webinars and conferences
• Participate in prospective calls with potential clients
• Help identify priority countries or regions for the medium- and long-term strategy
• Identify BD opportunities within countries TTA is working on
E. Quality Control and Quality Assurance
The PCC is someone who pays attention to details while considers the “big picture” at the same time, and ensures quality throughout her/his work in reports, workplans, emails and any other output coming out from TTA Africa Unit. Fluent written English is required, and it is expected that the selected candidate will conduct the necessary spelling/grammar checks in each report and email that comes out.
The ideal candidate for this position will have the following competencies:
1. Educational Background. A Master´s degree in engineering, economics or similar is desired. Specific education in renewable energies, energy efficiency and management, sustainable energy and/or energy access will be an advantage.
2. Previous Work Experience. Minimum 8 years of experience in energy is required. Minimum 5 years of experience in sustainable energy is required. Experience in cleanenergy mini-grids is desirable. Previous experience in consultancy and project management in sustainable energy is required.
3. International Experience. Experience in Africa is required. Experience with multilateral or bilateral development agencies is highly desirable.
4. Languages. Fluency in English or French is required. Other languages will be an advantage
5. Computer Skills. Excellent command in Microsoft Word, Power Point and Excel are required. Experience with simulation software i.e. HOMER, PV SYST is desirable.
6. Interests. Passionate about sustainable energy; Motivation to travel internationally; Interest in development.
– Ability to work with minimum supervision
– Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously
– Problem-solver, pro-active and results-oriented
– Analytical skills, efficient designing and implementing of processes
– Methodical and well organized
– Ability and proven experience to think creatively learn quickly and develop
innovative solutions involving electrical and mechanical challenges
– Cross-cultural communication and interpersonal skills
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted