About the job
Little Sun is dedicated to designing and delivering affordable clean energy solutions and inspiring people to take climate action. Founded by the contemporary artist Olafur Eliasson and engineer Frederik Ottesen, Little Sun “puts the power of the sun in your hands” through a suite of artfully-designed solar devices, livelihood programs and renewable energy and climate advocacy efforts. Little Sun products make light and safety possible for refugees, help students extend study hours in areas without electricity, allow public health workers to charge their phones in remote locations, among others and support farmers and entrepreneurs to boost their income.
After ten years in operation, Little Sun has distributed over one million solar powered products globally and is a global leader in emotionally engaging communications on renewable energy. We are embarking on an ambitious new strategy which will take the organization deeper in select countries (especially, Senegal and Zambia) to support families and communities to move up the energy access ladder by using solar power for agriculture, small-scale enterprise and healthcare.
Little Sun seeks an individual to serve as Director of Programs to provide overall leadership, guidance and oversight to all Little Sun program activities in Africa. The position is a great match for an energetic and entrepreneurial multi-tasker who wishes to apply their knowledge of solar energy, development and social enterprise to improve well-being for people and the planet. The Director of Programs position reports directly to the CEO and would be based in Dakar, Senegal. In the Director’s first year at Little Sun, they will focus primarily on expanding and growing our work in Senegal and West Africa, with greater geographic scope to come in subsequent years.
Director of Programs Main Responsibilities are:
● To create an overarching program strategy to realize Little Sun’s mission of designing and delivering affordable clean energy solutions in Africa, knitting together our education, health and agriculture programs in various countries into a more holistic plan and approach.
● To define key performance indicators and clear methods of monitoring and tracking results across countries and issue areas.
● To support and manage program teams in Senegal, Zambia, Ethiopia and elsewhere, providing particular focus and support for our team in Senegal within the next 12 months.
● To identify and collaborate with an ecosystem of for-profit, non-profit and government partners in West, East and Southern Africa.
● To work with local teams and partners to refine the Little Sun niche, approach, process value add and business model.
● To design and test new approaches, and new business models, for renewable energy applications in agriculture, demonstrating scalability and financial sustainability.
● To cooperate closely with Little Sun’s fundraising team to mobilize resources, draft grant proposals, grant reports, and to interface with donors.
● To cooperate closely with Little Sun’s communication team to tell Africa’s renewable energy story to the world.
● To serve as part of the senior leadership team responsible for overall organizational leadership and direction.
● At least 10 years of experience in renewable energy, international development program leadership, social enterprise or related field, in a for- or non-profit setting, primarily working in Africa.
● A Master’s degree in business, renewable energy or a related field.
● Experience leading, managing and building high performing teams. Comfortable working in a team or operating independently and as part of a global team.
● Passion, experience and skills for meeting the needs of remote communities and a familiarity with market-oriented solutions.
● Superb verbal and written communication skills and an aptitude for communicating with many different types of people.
● Able to thrive in a highly entrepreneurial, fast-paced and creative environment.
● Able to inspire the organization’s values and highest ideals through word, deed, example and presence. Be as comfortable in a village in Africa as with a high-powered donor or corporate leader.
● Native English speaker required. French language proficiency strongly preferred as well. Priority given to nationals of Senegal or Zambia.
● Ability and willingness to travel.
What can Little Sun offer you?
● Opportunity to thrive in an entrepreneurial, evolving, and creative environment.
● A friendly team that is passionate about our shared vision.
● A varied workplace with lots of opportunities for personal development.
● An outcome-driven organization, focused on creating impact while maintaining a healthy focus on the well-being of our colleagues.
● Flexible office solutions, working hours, and digital work.
We believe in equal opportunities. We cherish diversity and try our best to build an inclusive team.
Please submit a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.