Purpose of Role
To support the development of power generation projects in East Africa from project concept to financial close. Working as part of a 5 – 6 person team in Nairobi and a larger internal project team network in the London office.
- Originate projects in the region that fit within Globeleq’s strategy.
- Responsible for project co-ordination, working closely with the internal business development, finance, financial modeling, legal, engineering, E&S, and HR teams, as well as with external advisors as required.
- Support or lead workstreams related to the development, due diligence, bid or acquisition of power generation projects across East Africa, from project concept to financial close, operating within defined authority levels.
- Leading or supporting the submission of bids in competitive solar or wind tenders, contributing to the optimal structuring of the project to maximize the probability of success while maintaining high-quality project standards. Leading the drafting and preparation of the submission in compliance with the tender rules and internal approvals.
- Supporting or leading the negotiation of project and financing agreements – including power off-take agreements (PPA), construction contracts (EPC, TSA, BOP), O&M agreements, and financing documents, as required.
- Leading or supporting the structuring and negotiation of equity investment agreements, such as joint development agreements, shareholder agreements, or share purchase agreements.
- Leading the permitting, including identifying, negotiating & obtaining all required consents to invest in, build & operate electricity generation projects and related businesses, working with external advisors if necessary.
- Project scheduling, including ensuring that key milestones are achieved on schedule and within budget.
- Developing, monitoring & achieving compliance with the budget.
- Identification, management & mitigation of risks within agreed levels of authority.
- Assist in presenting the project for all internal approvals, including the preparation of investment committee approval memorandums.
- Design and delivery of key status reports as well as support with both internal and external presentations & board papers.
- Support in managing relationships with developers and other project partners, Globeleq Investment Committee, Globeleq Board, and Globeleq Shareholders, as required.
- Develop & build relationships with government & key regulatory officials
- Provision of post-acquisition asset management support, including budget support where required.
- Provide high-quality research and summary presentations on the power sector of target countries, the competitive dynamics in the market, or key trends in the power industry.
- Participate in and contribute to the development and implementation of Globeleq’s strategy and business plan.
- Participate in conferences and similar events, and generally raise awareness of and actively promote Globeleq’s brand, including building deep relationships with Globeleq’s stakeholders and potential stakeholders.
- An irrepressible tenacity, determination, and diplomacy – including an ability to gracefully tolerate sometimes arduous travel and working environments and often frustrating scenarios and counterparties with integrity
- Proactivity in progressing workstreams and solving issues
- Communication, especially relationship management & negotiation
- Creativity & Innovation
- Quick and decisive decision making
- Diversity & Ethical Behaviour, including strong cultural sensitivity and awareness and ability to tolerate arduous travel
- Planning & Organizing, with strong project management skills
- Commercial Acumen
- Transaction Skills
- Financial Modelling
- Presentation Skills
- Language – Fluent English is required. Additional languages desirable.
Experience, Knowledge & Qualifications
- Project Management
- Solid experience (3-10 years) as a developer of Independent Power Projects (IPPs) in Africa or other emerging markets
- Extensive experience with solar PV and wind projects, experience with battery storage is a plus
- Solid experience in successfully bidding IPPs projects in competitive tenders
- Solid experience with due diligence of power projects
- Solid experience with commercial negotiations of equity investment agreements, project documents, and financing agreements
- Extensive experience of projects in Emerging Markets, negotiating and liaising with Government officials, construction contractors, and other stakeholders in the development and implementation of IPPs
- Demonstrable successful track record in advancing IPPs and originating projects
- Experience in working with lenders, lawyers, and engineering, insurance, environmental & other external consultants
- Able and willing to travel through-out Africa
- Minimum degree level qualified. Master in Business Administration or similar qualifications an advantage.
Resource Management / Dimensions
- Budget responsibility as allocated per project
- Project management responsibility per project team