ENGIE Energy Access in Kenya is looking for an experienced, fiercely entrepreneurial, and mission-driven leader to lead our operations in Kenya. You are hungry to make an ambitious pitch for the commercial success of our solar home system and minigrid products in the Kenyan market. You have the skills and vision to create a winning go-to-market strategy and business plan to launch and grow a scalable, sustainable business, and build and inspire a team to execute against it.
As the Country Lead in Kenya, you will own the opportunity of scaling our business, building its team and operations, designing a high-growth business model, growing teams and leaders, developing government relationships, and ensuring future financial sustainability. You will drive our company to long-term market leader status by 1) designing a country-specific business plan and go-to-market strategy that investors will get behind, 2) managing execution against that strategy, 3) monitoring subsidiary performance and refining its operating approach ahead of commercial scale, 4) building and leading a high-performing, passionate team with strong culture, and 5) relentlessly pursuing an exceptional customer experience at each step along the way.
Strategy & Leadership
- Build and motivate a high-performing team and inspiring culture to execute against goals
- Define and execute strategic vision for 2021/2022 – operate business to approved plan
- Maintain and grow the EEA culture that recognizes and embraces our company’s vision and values, stays focused on our customers, always encourages success, and supports all employees
- Own and manage Country PMD and financial model
- Continuously monitor product fit and pricing, marketing, sales, distribution, portfolio health, technical integration, and service with potential partners, as well as customer experience and country-specific customer insights
- Leverage and collaborate with global team and other country leads for insight and support
- Manage the country P&L
- Own and manage external partnerships and relationships (i.e., Telecos, Ministries, Revenue Authorities, etc.)
- Drive business model innovations/evolutions that result in improved customer engagement, better repayment, and reduced bad debt
- Use insights gathered day-to-day, during pilots, or monthly to inform scalable, profitable, and sustainable commercialization strategies in subsequent years
- Iterate and create a country-centric business model that has the ability to acquire hundreds of thousands of customers on an annual basis while driving to YoY profitability growth
- Locate, initiate, develop, and execute on key partnerships initiatives that can assist in distribution, branding, customer acquisition, and scale
- Build a world class team that loves what they do and embodies our culture
- Lead the Kenya country team to be a long-term part of our global goal to scale profitability across Africa
At EEA, we have high expectations for our managers. Each manager plays a key role in creating an exceptional experience not only for our customers but for every person on our team. Our managers help EEA realize our ambitious goals while developing their own leadership skills and facilitating growth for their direct reports.
We believe that great managers:
- Deliver ambitious results: As a high-performing and accountable leader, you create an enabling environment for effective action and bold decision which contribute to successful delivery of results.
- Act with integrity: As an ethical leader you are honest, respectful, objective, and transparent. You create and build upon a foundation of trust and openness.
- Inspire and mentor the team: As an inspirational leader you walk the talk. You empower and coach your team with trust and humility.
- Are accessible: as an accessible leader, you develop and maintain deep connections with stakeholders through approachability and active listening.
- Ensure diversity and inclusion: as an inclusive leader, you ensure diversity and foster a sense of belonging.
- At least 10 – 12 years relevant experience
- Leadership & project management experience: we are looking for entrepreneurs who have started or contributed significantly to scaling a company or project. We especially value candidates who have designed, executed, and scaled pilot projects and who have built great teams with a strong culture.
- Great written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills (English)
- Outstanding analytical skills and ability to synthesize analysis into practical strategy recommendations
- Comfort and experience with cultivating strong relationships with external clients, whether in a boardroom or customer’s off-grid home
- Excellent judgement and ability to work independently with little supervision
- Highly motivated by customer happiness and a great team culture
- Three years’ minimum work experience in a relevant role, particularly B2C
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant field