Roles and Responsibilities
You will be part of our African Programmes team, which includes professionals from a range of private
sector backgrounds, including engineering, project development, entrepreneurship, banking and
investment, micro-finance, and management consulting.
You will implement different energy access programmes, work with our donors and sub-contractors,
advise MSMEs, and support E4I team members in programme implementation.
We are particularly interested in candidates that have:
• An electrical engineering, agricultural or financial background (both professional and academic);
• Experience working with EPC contractors and installing and operating solar home system
• Experience with mini-grid developers
• Experience with stand-alone solar appliance suppliers and other service providers;
• Experience in a humanitarian energy setting in East Africa;
• Experience in the clean cooking sector;
• Experience working with agricultural programmes for the benefit of smallholder farmers which
depend on access to electricity; and
• Experience working with county governments and other local stakeholders in Kenya.
Responsibilities for the role:
• Work closely with Programme Managers and support them by doing data analysis, market
research, reporting, as well as client engagements and communication.
• Help to develop E4I’s internal processes and knowledge of technologies, business models,
regulatory issues, the financing process, etc.
• Deliver high-quality work, with attention to detail and a focus on results.
• Support the E4I team to deliver on programme objectives and grow skills and experience.
Advisory responsibilities (will vary according to the experience of the candidate)
• Support in providing engineering, business, or financial advice to early and later stage SME
companies, including solar home system distributors, mini-grid developers, stand-alone solar
appliance suppliers and other service providers.
• Provide support to SME clients on their business models, partnership facilitation, project
development, investment readiness, financial modelling and capital raising.
• Work closely with the Monitoring and Evaluation team to ensure expected results for advisory
activities are measured and evaluated.
• Help E4I to develop our internal processes and institutional knowledge of energy access financing,
business models, regulatory issues etc.
• Be engaged in data management, analysis and presentation for external and internal knowledge
• Conduct market studies and research for SME clients, donors and internal knowledge generation,
including desk research, primary and secondary research.
• Stay up-to-date on market news, regulations, and trends in the field of energy access and
productive use of electricity in Africa.
• Support organizational efforts to identify and secure new funding from potential donors in East
Africa and other parts of Africa.
• Support the Programmes and the Business Development team in preparing bids, concept notes
and proposals for donors consistent with the objectives and requirements of the potential donor.
• 3-6 years’ experience in at least one of the following areas:
o Energy project implementation, operations, or financing;
o Financial advisory, management or strategic consulting;
o Marketing or technical support for agricultural and other electric appliances used for income-generating purposes;
o Renewable energy development in a humanitarian setting; or
o Early-stage business building as an entrepreneur, investor or incubator
o Research and data analysis in the development sector
• Experience in managing a project or directly assisting a project manager in their activities
• Experience working with rural and off-grid business models and an understanding of the unique
challenges faced by businesses operating in Africa
Academic and Professional Qualifications
• Undergraduate degree in Engineering, Business Management, Economics, Finance, International
Development, Energy, Environment, Climate Change or other relevant subjects
Skills and Knowledge
• Strong analytical and problem solving skills
• Good understanding of the off-grid market, preferably in an African context
• Good understanding of the entrepreneurial space and impact investing sector
• Strong written and oral communication skills. Ability to write high quality written documents.
• Ability to critique and develop financial models highly desirable
• Fluent English a must
• Fluent French an advantage
• Team player
• Attention to detail and a focus on results
• Ability to think outside the box
• Ability to organize work independently
• Ability to see the big picture and connect the dots
• Ability to work calmly under pressure
• A can-do and collaborative mindset – comfortable with the ambiguities and demands of a rapidly
an evolving and entrepreneurial environment with a team from diverse backgrounds
• Willingness to travel in-country, regionally, and internationally sometimes on short notice
• Passion for working in the impact space
• Close alignment with E4I’s mission and values
To apply, please send your CV, along with a covering letter to email@example.com. Only
shortlisted candidates will be contacted.