Head of Development – large scale – Nairobi, Kenya
We are searching for a Development Manager to lead our new development team and search for renewable opportunities in Kenya.
- Spearhead the project development team to Identify, develop and evaluate new projects and opportunities for solar, wind, storage and hybrid technologies in Kenya.
- Focus on (i) development of greenfield projects, from prospecting sites, undertaking studies, securing land, obtaining necessary permits and authorizations, securing grid access, scouting and negotiating power purchase agreements, preparing internal investment proposals that comply with the company’s internal investment guidelines and taking projects through financial close; and (ii) identifying large electricity users, developing dedicated renewable energy power plants to meet their needs, preparing layouts, negotiating power purchase agreements, securing all necessary permits and authorizations, preparing internal investment proposals that comply with the company’s internal investment guidelines and taking projects through financial close.
- Manage the development team, overseas development activity and manage the sales leads to achieve the objectives, execute the strategy, address the priorities, and comply with the budget agreed with the Head of Europe & Africa Affiliates and the Country Manager of the Territory , to transpose those objectives and priorities in to detailed operational and/or action plans for each member of the development team.
- Manage the project development team to ensure we have the necessary people, processes and systems in place, that all employees are aware of and aligned with the objectives and priorities for the development of Voltalia’s Business in Kenya, that there is a clarity of purpose and opportunities for professional development for those employees, and that those employees are well integrated into Voltalia’s activities and aware of and aligned with Voltalia’s values and mission.
- Foster, develop and maintain excellent business relations with electricity authorities in Kenya.
- Determine strategic key target sectors, present Voltalia in front of large consumers in Industry, Services (Banking, Tourism, Distribution, Retail, etc.) and Agriculture; Engage with primary potential clients to gather business and technical requirements, determine business needs and develop appropriate renewable energy solutions that adds value to designated clients;
- Identify, lead and manage local authorities within governorates where solar and wind projects are forecasted, that includes establishing direct communication with local mayors and administration officials to secure lands for future renewable projects.
- Contribute to Country’s strategic planning and budgeting process, by developing and securing an initial pipeline of Hundreds of MW from corporate clients.
- Work with Voltalia internal and external BL teams in all the technical, legal and commercial activities necessary for the success of the projects namely Due Diligences, negotiations, technical development, company presentation, etc.;
- Prepare, review and present the investment proposal for concrete opportunities to Voltalia’s Executive Committee
- Strong knowledge and relevant experience in the renewable energy field in Kenya.
- Proven track record in leading development teams for renewable energy projects.
- Proven strong network of contacts with large energy consumers;
- Proven track record managing focused teams of +5 people.
- Confirmed experience (+ 10 years) in Solar and/or wind Green Field projects for large corporate clients;
- Confirmed experience (+ 10 years) in project management, PMP qualification is a plus.
- Engineering degree or equivalent.
- Master’s degree in a technical field and/or business.
- Fluent in Arabic and English, French is a plus.
- Driving License.
- Computer proficiency.
- Excellent knowledge of the Kenyan electrical sector, regulation and regulatory environment;
- Sales and growth-oriented attitude;
- Positive attitude and motivational skills to enhance efficiency and collaboration between business lines.
- Leadership capacity, team player, presentable & confident.
- Excellent communication skills both written and verbal.
- Excellent networking, persuasion, negotiation and deal closing skills.
- Ethical with drive to succeed.
- Excellent project management and customer relations skills.
- Research, strategy & business intelligence skills.
- Build and lead cross-functional teams.
- Excellent problem-solving skills and attention to detail
- Passion for performing on time and on budget
- Autonomy, creativity and initiative.
- Commitment to promoting the success of others
- Open minded, Willing to receive and accept feedback, as well as giving constructive criticism to peers