Who we are, and what we do
PEG delivers Pay-As-You-Go (PAYG) asset-based financing to consumers who lack both access to reliable electricity and formal banking services. PEG’s anchor product – a basic solar home system that includes six lights, a phone charger, a radio, and a TV – allows consumers living on $5-10 per day to access clean light for working and studying after hours, avoid harmful air pollution from kerosene based lighting solutions, and also build credit for additional products and services over time.
To date, PEG has raised over $45 million and has over 450 full time staff across Ghana, Ivory Coast and Senegal. PEG has also won numerous awards, including the prestigious 2017 Ashden International Award for excellence in sustainable energy, and was named as one of the “fastest growing companies in Africa” by the London Stock Exchange.
The successful candidate will lead PEG’s Group accounting, tax and treasury operations. He/she will oversee accounting, tax and working capital management strategy to ensure that the company operates efficiently by monitoring and using its current assets and liabilities to the best effect.
The purpose of this role is to enable the company to report financial on time with high quality standards, optimize tax, maintain sufficient cash flow to meet its operating costs and debt obligations.
The position will be at the heart of the group finance department and working very closely with the CFO and operations, corporate finance, credit to ensure optimal cash management to support PEG fast growing operations and plans.
Group Accounting and Tax: Prepare statutory financial reporting at year end, coordinate interim and year-end audits, prepare consolidated monthly financial statements (PnL, B/S, CF), implementation of accounting policies, processes and systems, tax Accounting and strategy, management and elimination of inter-company accounts, manage relationship with External Auditors.
Cash management: Identify the cash balance which allows for the business to meet day to day expenses, but reduces cash holding costs. Ensure that we prepare and maintain at all time a 12 months cash forecast report at countries, Group and consolidated levels. Update weekly, monthly as required cash forecast reports considering business, operational and collection changes. Review monthly cash forecasts submitted by the operating countries to ensure it matches their operations needs and at the same time ensuring that cash is spent in an optimal way and in line with business priorities. Calculate variances between actual and forecast and implement Treasury metrics and KPI. Lead the Group Cash Committee on a bi-weekly basis and ensure that all issues and initiatives are discussed and solved, including taking and distributing action items, then following up to ensure their completion. Propose various options and scenario to the CFO to optimize cash management, reduce financial expenses, avoid any covenant breach.
Inventory management: Actively participate to the Sales & Operations planning meetings to identify the level of inventory which allows efficient sales and keep under control the cost to acquire. Ensure that slow moving products are pushed up into the sales forecast to optimize the inventory turnover. Ensure at all time that inventory conversion to cash is optimal and in line with Group cash planning.
Cash collection monitoring: Act as a bridge between finance and credit to ensure full collaboration, monitor cash collection and adjust accordingly company cash needs.
Short-term financing: Coordinate and support Financial Controllers in managing short-term financing tools such as letter of credit (LC), bank overdrafts etc, considering the time it takes for the company.
Creditors management: Working closely with the country finance and operations leads to ensure that we are negotiating the best credit term possible with suppliers. Work with Country FC to reduce our cash payments transactions.
- Implement relevant SOP and Policies (Order to Cash, Procure to Pay, etc) and reinforce formalization and processes within Accounting, Tax and Treasury Management department
- Automate Accounting, Tax and Treasury Management processes, propose new ways of working to reduce complexity and improve productivity and efficiency
- Establishes, maintains, and monitors control systems to safeguard company’s assets and ensure compliance with corporate policies and procedures
- Follow up daily basis exchange rates (USD/EUR/GHS), prepare Forex forecasts
- Support company employees & solving problems related to IFRS, Tax and Treasury
- Maintaining good working relationships the banks, external auditors, tax officers and corporate team
- Participate and implement Company new transversal projects, including ERP
The successful candidate must have:
- Must be a CA or equivalent ACCA
- 10+ years of experience in Accounting, Tax and Treasury management with relevant work experience in a startup or other fast paced environment
- Experience in implementing accounting and working capital processes to improve or optimize financial reporting and cash management
- Fluency in English, French is a plus
- Strong communication skills, team player, project management and prioritization skills, while being able to work independently
- Experience in successfully managing the expectations of multiple levels of stakeholders
- Strong attention to detail, accuracy and efficient organizer
- Able to initiate and complete individual projects, ability to handle sensitive and confidential information
- Adaptability to Change: Adjusts to change and uncertainty, able to shift gears and can act in ambiguous or uncertain situations. Able to improvise, multi-task and prioritize in a changing environment
- Collaboration / Teamwork: Fosters cross-unit collaboration and builds and facilitates teamwork to achieve results.
- Communication: Uses multiple communication strategies to gain support and commitment from others and mobilize them to act.
- Drive for Results: Focuses on achieving goals and holds self and others accountable for expected results. To be successful in this position, the candidate must be results oriented and have the demonstrated ability to effectively prioritize workflow.
- Trust and Integrity: Understands and acts in accordance with organizational values; is widely trusted.
- Proactive Problem Resolution: In conjunction with others, works to take a proactive approach to anticipating, preventing, and solving problems.