Fenix International is a for-profit corporation and the creator of affordable, Pay-To-Own renewable energy products that empower those living off-grid. Over 34m people in Uganda are off-grid, which equates to 6.2mhouseholds who have no access to power and instead depend on kerosene for light and local businesses for phone charging. To address this, Fenix International has developed ReadyPay, a new Pay-To-Own Solar Power System. Coming in a range of kits, ReadyPay Power Systems are designed to provide clean light, phone charging, entertainment and more for those living off-grid.
Each ReadyPay is unique in that it contains lock-out technology, and, together with MTN Mobile Money, it allows a customer to take a solar power system home for a small down payment from just $15. Customers then “top up”their ReadyPay through MTN Mobile Money payments (starting from $0.40 per day). Each time a payment is made via Mobile Money, their ReadyPay Solar Power System is unlocked for a set period of time. Customers will then eventually own theirReadyPay systems after making continuous mobile money payments for a period 18 months.
Job Summary: The Fenix International Engineering Manager will lead our Engineering team in Uganda. The Engineering Manager will be responsible forand will be involved in key strategic efforts such as product development,over seeing after-sales services, information technology (IT), local software development efforts, local assembly and accessory sourcing, and technical product testing with our customers. The Engineering Manager will manage all technical team members based in Uganda and report to the East Africa Regional Director. This position offers an incredible opportunity to work with an elite team of business and engineering professionals to directly contribute to the success of a technology-driven startup while immersed in on-the-ground social enterprise operations. Candidates should have a passion for entrepreneurship, renewable energy and sustainable development in frontier markets. There will be opportunities to travel to the SanFrancisco office and within Uganda to better understand Fenix’s customer base first-hand. As the Engineering Manager, you will be based in Kampala, Uganda and support mission-critical projects impacting millions of lives.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Steer and manage all technical team members and operations in Uganda
- Manage and continually improve after-sales services, including diagnostics and repairs
- Develop and execute product testing and new product field trials
- Contribute to need-finding and compile local technical inputs
- Technical evaluation of locally sourced parts and accessories for quality and reliability
- Oversee local IT staff, IT policies, and IT partners, ensuring continual improvement in efficiency and uptime of our sales, operations, and customer service systems
- Oversee local assembly line, including staff management, quality assurance, failure analysis, and reporting
- Independently conduct FMEA, identify barriers to progress, develop resolution plans, mobilize appropriate resources to mitigate / resolve.
- Actively collaborate with the Product Development team on software systems improvements and development of new tools and processes
- Bridge Customer Service, Operations, Technical Service, and Product Development teams
- Serve as the main point of contact for the SF-based Engineering team
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The incumbent should hold a Bachelor’s degree in Electrical or Mechanical Engineering
- At least seven years minimum related experience
- Past experience leading and managing teams with technical and non-technical backgrounds
- Significant experience in new product development
- Two year commitment to live and work in East Africa
- Outstanding written and verbal communications skills (English)
- Proven ability and drive to work independently
- Past Software Engineering experience is desired