The Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH is owned by the Federal Republic of Germany with operations in many countries around the world, including Uganda. GIZ implements commissions for the German government and other national and international, public and private sector clients within the framework of the international cooperation between the Federal Republic of Germany and the Government of Uganda.
Green People’s Energy Uganda
Green People’s Energy is an initiative launched by German Federal Minister for Economic Cooperation and Development, Dr. Gerd Müller, in June 2017 as part of the Marshal Plan with Africa. The initiative is implemented in nine focal countries Benin, Côte d’Ivoire, Ethiopia, Ghana, Mozambique, Senegal, Uganda and Zambia.
The country project GBE Uganda consists of three components:
1) Training and skills development
Trainings and curricula for decentralized renewable energy (DRE) technologies will be developed and/or broadly applied (solar water pumping etc.). The capacities of teachers and trainers shall be improved enabling them to train technicians on proper design, installation and maintenance of RE systems. The project will partner with two vocational training institutes (VTIs) in Northern Uganda for this purpose. VTIs will also receive support to acquire solar systems and equipment.
2) Access to Clean Energy for SMEs and Cooperatives and social institutions SMEs and cooperatives off the grid will receive technical and financial support to acquire off-grid solar systems and energy efficient appliances for productive use such as processing agricultural produce or other income generating activities. These SMEs and cooperatives will also receive
business development support so that they can maximize the impact of modern energy access and energy-efficient appliances. Furthermore, VTIs and primary schools will be supported to acquire off-grid solar systems and energy-efficient appliances.
3) Investments and framework conditions
The component aims at promoting investments into decentralized renewable energy (DRE) systems (for example grid-connected solar systems, solar for captive power, off-grid solar etc.) and at improving the framework conditions for the technologies and applications which are promoted by this project. Larger energy consumers/enterprises with operation facilities in rural
areas will be supported to develop bankable renewable energy projects for lower energy costs and higher competitivity. The identification of projects will be done in cooperation with the Ugandan Manufacturers Association (UMA) and agricultural associations.
GIZ is recruiting an Energy Investment Advisor to support the implementation of this project,
particularly for Component 3 and partially for Component 2.
Job title Energy Investment and Training Advisor
Green People’s Energy Uganda
Reports to: Project Coordinator
Job Location Kampala with frequent travels to Northern Uganda
Ref. No GIZ – GBE/TA/092049
A. Key Responsibilities
The Energy Investment and Training Advisor will be responsible for:
• Support the project manager in the preparation, design and implementation of trainings, workshops, field visits and other events for enterprises, SMEs and project developers on business development, bankability, DRE related project development as well as DRE technologies and energy-efficient appliances
• Support the project manager in the implementation of activities regarding the development of bankable DRE projects for larger energy consumers in rural areas
• Support the project manager in linking selected enterprises and SMEs with financial institutions and funding schemes, investors, project developers and suppliers
• Regular engagement/communication with key partner Uganda Manufacturers Association (UMA), GIZ projects such as GET. Invest, GET. Transform, development and private banks as well as related funding schemes
• Monitor project progress for all activities under the investment component
• Always uphold GIZ’s values of sustainable development, transparency, efficiency and anticorruption towards the public, partners, government, private sector and institutions.
The Energy Investment and Training Advisor will be expected to perform the following tasks:
B. Specific Tasks
• Gather and analyze information to guide project interventions, incl.
a) Selecting motivated and strong enterprises and SMEs for project support
b) Assessing the training and capacity building needs of the supported enterprises and SMEs in order develop bankable DRE projects and maximize the impact of improved energy access and energy-efficient appliances through business development
c) Analyzing the financial resources and avenues available to the target group
d) Opportunities for cooperation and joint activities with other GIZ projects, development banks and funding schemes
• Act as liaison person for the ongoing partnership with Uganda Manufacturers Association (UMA) through regular exchange and alignment as well as with the German Cooperative and Raiffeisen Union (DGRV)
• Conceptualize, prepare and implement physical and virtual trainings, workshops and other events for enterprises, SMEs and project developers on bankability, project and business development, DRE technologies and energy-efficient appliances.
• Establish sound and transparent relations with the project counterparts in Ministry of Energy and Mineral Development (MEMD) as well as with supported enterprises and SMEs, project developers and other relevant stakeholders
• Cooperate within the project team to design efficient modes of support
• Design, coordinate and monitor consultancies
• Conduct monitoring visits to the supported enterprises and SMEs, project developers as well as other implementation partners
• Maintain equitable, transparent and fair delivery of support services to all partners
• Maintain all documentation of project activities in line with GIZ standards and support the Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) framework for the project
• Ensure correct visibility for the project and contribute to communications materials
• Adherence to GIZ regulations incl. among others finance, administration and procurement
• Liaise regularly and communicate issues with project manager and development advisor.
Other duties/additional tasks
• Carries out other tasks at the request of the Superior.
C. Required qualifications, competences and experience
• Master’s degree in business or social administration, management, finance, industrial engineering, business and engineering or similar
• Minimum 4 years working experience, at least 3 years in DRE and/or training for enterprises and SMES
• Excellent English language skills
• Relevant trainings and postgraduate qualifications are an added advantage
Professional Competences and experience
• Ability to meet commitments, plan ahead of time, observe deadlines and achieve results
• Excellent communication and presentation skills, both orally and written
• Polite and professional manner and tact in conduct, in person, by phone and email
• Strong ability to work within a team and follow a common goal
• Computer literacy with excellent knowledge of MS Office (especially Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and optional experience in using energy software design tools
• Use of online meeting and conference tools such MS Teams, Zoom etc.
Other knowledge, and additional competences
• Experience in stakeholder consultation and coordination, ideally work experience with business associations
• Extensive practical experience in preparing, implementing and evaluating trainings for enterprises and SMEs, ideally on project development, bankability, DRE technologies and energy-efficient appliances.
• Ability to convey complex technical matters in a comprehensive manner
• Experience in the design and financing of DRE and energy efficiency projects for enterprises and SMEs and/or willingness to further familiarize herself/himself with the topic
• Ideally experience with DRE technologies relevant for enterprises and SMEs and/or willingness to further familiarize herself/himself with this topic
• Sound understanding of the Ugandan banking and finance sector and opportunities for financing for enterprises and SMEs, ideally with a focus on DRE and energy efficiency projects
• Willingness to upskill as required by the tasks to be performed.
How to Apply
All interested and qualified persons are strongly encouraged to apply by submitting their application and CV along with the contacts of three professional referees to The Director, Future Options Consulting Ltd, by email: email@example.com; quoting the position you are applying for and the reference No. as the subject. Applications should be received by 5.00pm on
the 4th October 2020. Please note: This is a national position. Application and CV should be in one document and a maximum of 5 pages only. No other attachments are required at this stage.
Only the shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
We encourage women, people with disabilities and minority groups to apply for this position. GIZ is committed to equal opportunities and diversity of perspective at the working place.