ABOUT THE JOB
- Do you have an electrical engineering degree?
- Are you passionate about engineering and solving problems?
The Electrical Engineer’s role will be to design, analyze, verify, commission, and ensure compliance of projects according to national standards, best practices, and regulations. The Electrical Engineer will report to the Head of Engineering for all phases of the project from the design phase to final commissioning and handover.
The successful candidate will need to demonstrate great attention to detail with excellent engineering skills and multi-tasking abilities. The goal is to ensure that all potential and active solar projects are evaluated, designed, budgeted, and commissioned to achieve standards. Furthermore, the position would require continuous product research and testing to ensure execution of projects using relevant and up-to-date technology, improving systems based on lessons learned.
Project size range from 20kWp to 10MWp. You may be required to work occasional overtime to meet critical project deadlines. Candidates should be willing to travel within South Africa and other African countries, with traveling expected up to 40%, depending on project stages.
SolarAfrica is a progressive company that values culture on par with skillset. We hire, review and reward according to our core values. Culture in our business is equally as important to us as a skillset. All applicants must ensure they align with our core values first and foremost, including:
● We are passionate and proud of what we do.
● We communicate candidly, especially when it is difficult.
● We take initiative, share our mistakes, and grow together.
● We are dependable and take accountability.
● No one person is bigger than the solution – no egos.
- Conduct solar project feasibility studies by evaluating customer data and doing on-site electrical evaluations.
- Create solar project designs and engineering including but not limited to prelim and detailed designs, sizing, analyzing designs, and compliance checking.
- Ensure solar project designs, installation, and commissioning meet electrical and SolarAfrica standards.
- Provide Engineering support to internal teams from Sales to Operations.
- Determine and update solar project metrics.
- Conduct product research to ensure we are implementing up to date technology and solutions.
- Any other job duties as assigned.
- Must have 2 years of proven electrical engineering experience, with formal Technicon or University qualification(s).
- A driver’s license is essential.
- Strong communication & interpersonal skills.
- Proficient in MS Word, Microsoft Projects, and an expert, extremely competent in Excel.
Advantageous Skills include:
- Experience in the solar industry.
- Experience in PVSYST, Helioscope, and CAD software.
- Knowledge of:
- MV reticulation, protection, and design
- Grid Code requirements
- SANS 10142 and NRS 097-2 standards, with specific reference to embedded generation
- Local municipal standards and procedures will also be beneficial.
- Surge and Lightning protection and grounding systems. Networking equipment and industrial communication protocols like Modbus, RS485, Ethernet, etc.
- Strong communication skills.
- Can take initiative.