Fenix International is a next-generation energy company. Our mission is to transform our customers’ quality of life through disruptive innovation in energy and financial services. Our flagship product, ReadyPay Solar, is an expandable, lease-to-own solar home system financed through affordable instalments starting under $0.19 per day. We use real-time transaction data to create a unique credit score to finance power upgrades and other life-changing loans and open up a wider world of energy and financing for our customers.
To date, Fenix has sold over 220,000 ReadyPay Power systems in Uganda and Zambia, bringing clean, reliable power for lights, phones, radios, TV and much more to over 1,100,000 people in these two countries. In 2017, Fenix announced that it was joining forces with ENGIE, one of the world’s largest energy companies and a leader in the move to renewable, decentralised and digital energy. ENGIE will make significant commercial investments in Fenix to accelerate the path to our mission. Fenix will operate as a distinct and autonomous company within the ENGIE group in order to retain our unrelenting focus on innovation, smart iterative design, strong team culture and exceptional customer experience. Together, Fenix and ENGIE plan to bring life-changing energy and financial services to tens of millions of off-grid customers and to make universal access to modern energy a reality across Africa.
As part of Fenix engagement to bring life-changing to its customers Fenix is expanding its product base to include a new range of clean-cooking products and services. As marketing manager, you will report to the head of clean cooking and be in charge of introducing and managing new products, from market introduction to commercial expansion all over Africa. You will also be in charge of producing and gathering data to help identify the best and most promising countries in Sub-Saharan Africa for Fenix’s range of clean cooking products and services.
- Identify and propose promising new clean cooking products and services,
- Together with Fenix engineering team design new products,
- Work with the credit and customer experience team to propose and test different pricing options for Fenix’s clean cooking products and services,
- Co-design and run cost-effective marketing campaigns,
- Train sales representatives,
- Co-create and execute Fenix’s expansion strategy to maximize the adoption and use of clean cooking products and services,
- Propose marketing supports and ways to train Fenix’s customers to improve their experience,
- Produce country-specific market analysis for clean cooking to inform Fenix extension in Africa,
- Design, organise, supervise and analyse marketing surveys,
- Design, organise and supervise qualitative marketing research,
- Assist the head of clean cooking in building the budget for clean cooking marketing & distribution,
- Assist the head of clean cooking in managing the P&L for all the clean cooking portfolio.
Required Skills & Experience
- Demonstrate passion for Fenix’s mission, values and customers,
- 4+ years of B2C marketing and sales experience,
- Experience working in at least 1 African market,
- Organised and able to follow through and prioritize tasks,
- Ability to design marketing strategies and execute them,
- Strong critical and analytical thinking skills,
- Ability to work with large amounts of data to develop strategies and make rigorous decisions,
- Experience in designing and conducting qualitative and quantitative research (focus groups, in-depth interviews, surveys),
- Experience as a collaborative, hands on team player and eagerness to learn new tools and / or roll-up sleeves to get the job done,
- Willingness to travel to Fenix markets across Africa,
- Good understanding of the factors driving consumption in Africa.
Highly Desired Skills & Experience
- Experience working in the field of clean cooking, energy or financial services,
- Experience working with last mile customers in Africa,
- Experience with Tableau or other data analytics tools,
- Entrepreneurial experience and mindset; demonstrated entrepreneurial or intrapreneurial experience inside a larger company.
Please submit your resume and cover letter.
In your cover letter, please answer the following questions (not more than 400 words for each question):
1) Why do you want to work with Fenix?
2) According to you, what is the best clean cooking product for the East African market? Be specific and explain why.
3) Who do you think is the ideal customer to pilot a new clean cooking product with?
4) What sort of data do you think is useful to collect during the pilot phase of a new clean cooking product?
Fenix offers a competitive salary and a fun work environment. We recognize the value of diversity in our workforce, and encourage all qualified candidates to apply. We thank all candidates who choose to apply, however, only those selected for a further interview will be contacted.