About the job
As part of the Engie Group (160,000 people, 61 billion euro turnover, 29,700 hires worldwide), ENGIE Solar is part of the Renewables Global Business Line and is positioned as a global EPC & industrial platform supporting the geographical Business Units (BU) of ENGIE to win and deliver large scale solar projects. ENGIE Solar plays a key role in confirming ENGIE’s position as one of the leading and most innovative PV (photovoltaic) players in the market globally. With a team of about 250 people across the world (France, Brazil, Mexico, South Africa, India, etc.), ENGIE Solar is a highly motivated, global and multicultural entity that develops complex projects in collaboration with local BU teams. ENGIE Solar offers a dynamic environment where you will meet and work with solar PV experts committed to renewable energy around the world.
About The Role
To reinforce our activities of construction in Africa, we are looking for a EPC Manager South Africa (M/W) to join our African team. This role is based in Cape Town, South Africa. He is responsible for preparing and delivering EPC offers, accountable for the successful delivery (on-schedule, on-budget delivery with HSEQ best standards) of all projects in backlog / construction inside an assigned geographical area.
He manages a team-based locally and is accountable to coordinate the negotiations of the EPC Contracts, he leads the backlog phase and oversees the construction, commissioning and hand-over activities to the O&M up to punch-list closure and coordinates responses to Defect Notifications during the Guarantee Period.
He ensures applications of all Engie Solar / IPOS / BU Standards and ensures that project-specific geographical requirements are met. He manages issues at the appropriate levels when issues are escalated from his team (whether internal to Engie Solar or with the clients).
The responsibilities and activities exercised by the EPC Manager South Africa team are:
- Overall responsibility for successfully delivering operational stages of a developed PV project;
- Accountable for on-time schedule execution of all EPC activities, from origination until COD;
- Responsible for bottom line profit/loss performance of assigned projects;
- Responsible for cashflow of the project;
- Provide timely and accurate project performance and status reporting;
- Ensure the negotiation and signature of the EPC contract is done in due time and ensure compliance (maximise back-to-back principle) between EPC contract and sub-contractors contracts requirements;
- Ensure projects comply with all national, regional and local codes and requirements;
- Accountable for the application of the Health, Safety and Environmental policy;
- Accountable for the contractual implementation of Quality requirements (setup and enforcement of QAP, NCR management) as well as enforcement of the Project Quality Control Plan correct execution.
Your remuneration will be determined by the level of experience, skills, and salary grids.
- Bachelor’s/Master’s degree in engineering (electrical, mechanical).
- Minimum 15 years of relevant/similar work experience in the energy space or relevant industries;
- Proven track record successfully managing from A to Z several EPC Contracts (as “client interface”), Engineering, Procurement, and Construction phases of large power projects ideally in the solar industry, but also be in the renewable one, building/construction sector (industrial, commercial, resort, etc.);
- Experience in construction laws and regulations including labor related laws, health and safety, grid codes, etc.;
- Strong experience with African markets, in particular South Africa.
Hard and soft skills:
- Competent and seasoned in contract negotiations;
- Excellent knowledge of international EPC Contract Management and “client” management;
- The candidate must be technically involved and be a pro-active interface with multiple stakeholders;
- Demonstrated ability to manage and interface effectively with cross-functional employee groups;
- Ability to create a bond / good relationship and team spirit;
- Strong technical aptitude and business acumen;
- Available for domestic and international travels;
- Be fluent in English (spoken and written) is mandatory; French is a plus;
- Proven track record of being highly effective in unstructured business environment remote from corporate support;
- Process oriented with strong organization skills to manage multiple projects in parallel and prioritize competing demands;
- Proactive self-starter, highly motivated, focused on working at a high level and producing an excellent work product under changing priorities and deadlines;
- Self-motivated, independent professional with excellent communication skills and the ability to thrive under pressure;
- Be flexible and nimbleness, ability to adapt to a rapid growing and changing environment.
Are you ready to act with Engie?
Are you passionate about renewable energy? Have you imagined yourself in a humble but ambitious company (as part of a larger Group) in the middle of its transformation journey? Do you enjoy demanding and agile work environments? Then you are at the right place and our cross-cultural team is awaiting to meet you!