- This event has passed.
Webinar – Solar E-waste Management Innovations in Sub-Saharan Africa
May 26 @ 3:00 pm - 4:30 pm
EEP Africa is pleased to partner with CLASP to offer a deep dive into the solar e-waste management landscape in Africa. This event will share information from EEP Africa’s recent call and introduce projects funded through the Global LEAP Awards Solar E-Waste Challenge, a program to support innovations in off-grid solar e-waste management.
The global market for off-grid solar technologies is growing rapidly. Investments in e-waste management are needed now to ensure that the sector grows sustainably and remains a leader in environmental responsibility. Off-grid industry leaders are exploring e-waste management solutions, such as product repair initiatives and preventative maintenance, as well as the role of waste reduction in the initial product design stage.
The Solar E-Waste Challenge has awarded funds to 12 companies in sub-Saharan Africa for the research and development of sustainable e-waste management solutions in the areas of: take back, collection and incentives; recycling and product design for recyclability; battery technology and second life initiatives and product design for life extension; product repair, refurbishment and repurposing.
Participants can expect to learn about initiatives that:
- Streamline and integrate take-back & collection into company business models
- Facilitate product refurbishment, reuse, or repurposing
- Create partnerships with the informal sector
- Enhance consumer awareness around proper e-waste disposal
- Develop second-life battery initiatives
- Extend product and/or component lifespan; and
- Enhance product reparability and recyclability
Webinar speakers include specialists from EEP Africa, CLASP and GOGLA.