- This event has passed.
Market review on wheeling and electricity trading in Southern Africa
September 15 @ 2:00 pm - 3:00 pm
Wheeling is a scalable solution to creating a stable electricity supply industry within the southern African region. While wheeling does not necessarily mean that the electrons entering the transmission network at point A will be used at point B, it is a solution to balancing the energy from the generator with the end user load.
Now that South Africa’s Department of Mineral Resources and Energy will be gazetting the amendment to Schedule 2 of the country’s Electricity Regulation Act that pushes the self-generation threshold up to 100MW, it is timeous to review how wheeling operates and what changes can be anticipated within the Southern African Power Pool (SAPP).
What you will learn:
- The role of SAPP
– Day ahead market and balancing market impact
– Methodology of cross border tariffs
- Lessons from successful SAPP wheeling deals
- Lessons from an interconnector operator
- Possible SAPP impact on RSA wheeling
– SAPP membership for RSA buyers / IPPs